Saturday, June 26, 2010

I want to become a Sikkim Historian



War objects found at Tumlong Palace ruins

I never wanted to be a teacher and at the same time I never had any options. I had always been interested in history since my school days but destiny had other career for me. I compromised my dream on becoming an archeologist when I completed my high schools and opted for Pure Science streams. In my early schooling days we were taught to plant dreams, I dreamt of becoming an archeologist. Tutankhamen, Stonehenge, El Dorado, Atlantis, Crop Circles, Incas, Mayas, ancient civilizations and many others were the only things I used to fantasize. I used to regularly visit forest areas at my hometown and search for things believing that I was an archeologist and I was destined to discover it. My biggest irony of life one day I found a real plant fossil, it was a petrified fossil with an impression of a Gramineae leaf. Since 2003 I am trying to get more information of it but without any success.
I completed my Pure Science studies, thereafter I opted for Botany Honours at Sikkim Government College in Tadong, Gangtok. After my dreams of archeologist was scattered I was not able to set up goal for my life. I completed my Botany Honours never knowing what next! After that I was to follow which I had never ever given thought. I would say lady luck smiled at me. I joined Weekend Review Newspaper at Gangtok and since than there has been no looking back. Through Weekend Review newspaper I was unfolding my fantasy about learning Sikkim. The year than was 2003.
The seed of archeologist was there with me but one incident changed my outlook towards my thoughts. It was in then Calcutta, my first visit to the metros I was surprised to find that most of the people out there never knew about Sikkim. Some thought it to be in Nepal, some in China and few other made my home state stand somewhere in Bhutan. Till then I never knew what Sikkim was all about. Since that incident I had been trying to study Sikkim, trying to understand what is Sikkim all about? I want to know more and more about my Sikkim, every step that played an important role in the making of Sikkim.
From archeologist to self made Sikkim historian….I had changed my object of my life but one thing that has remained untouched is my sincere approach towards my goal. Blogging is just a platform to make people like me understand Sikkim. What I write in this weekly column and in my blog “Proud to be a Sikkimese’ (http://sikhim.blogspot.com) is not a mere hobby of getting popular as I am said by my few friends who does not like me writing about Sikkim History. I had been told I am writing nonsense and above all they believe digging the past only stinks. I am sorry for them, but I am not stopping my hunger to know about Sikkim. For each articles I go through pages of numerous old ragged pages of ‘fat books’ and other resources. I know my responsibilities but my only greed lies in the fact that though my articles I wish my younger generation gets to learn more about our Sikkim history which is not found anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment