Friday, September 25, 2009

East Point English School days

Old photographs do take you to those bygone days and one such moment was when Tashi Lama, one of my very good friends from Singtam sent me an old school photograph. He was a class junior to me at East Point English School at Singtam now more famous and upgraded to East Point SSS. Tashi sent me two photographs and both of them were more than nostalgic for me and I do remember that particular moment.


The dance program was performed by the school students during the 1990 Independence Day at Singtam Mandi Bazaar. The ground is no more here, instead a shopping complex has been erected. In almost 19 years I have forgotten the names of a few guys who were dancing then. The two people that really excited me in the photograph were Sapna Verma and Pem Tshring Bhutia. Thanks to the internet, I came across Sapna after more than 18 years this late winter and it was more than pleasure exchanging scraps with her. With Pem Tshering, we studied from Nursery to class xii after which he left for veterinary studies and is a vet doctor, now more in a respectable government job.


I still remember this 15th August football match that was held at Bardang. The year was 1989. The match was played for those players under 5'3" even though I was measured but I was 2-3 inch more and was not selected but we the school mates did go to watch the match. In the practice session Tashi was given practice as a goal keeper but in that particular match Pem Tshering was made the goalkeeper. The result was as expected our school team lost that particular match by nine goals to nil.


And this is Tashi with the haruwa cup.....

No comments:

Post a Comment