Saturday, November 22, 2008

VU2RVM: the first post merger Radio HAM from Sikkim

BY SHITAL PRADHAN

My story on AC3PT was widely appreciated and it was something new to the people of Sikkim too. But little did I know that there was one person in the entire crowd who was closely watching my article and he too had been part of Sikkim Ham radioactivity. Meet Rajesh Verma, Director, Department of Information Technology, Government of Sikkim. Rajesh Verma is better known in Sikkim for his well-liked Guide book on Sikkim. Nevertheless, there are few people who really know that he was also an active radio ham with a call sign VU2RVM and he had also written a book on ham radio. His book “ABC of Amateur Radio and Citizen Band” was first published in 1987.


A sample of the VU2RVM QSL Card

Cover of the book written by Rajesh Verma

It was more of an opportunity for me to have a swap over of emails with Rajesh Verma. I shall also remain ever grateful towards him for his book that he sent me along with his personal call sign QSL card. I am here sharing his call sign QSL card that shows eight lucky signs of Buddhist culture along with other different QSL cards he had received over the years.

I also would like to add Rajesh Verma’s fantasy with Ham in his own words “…… But it is not always talking for pleasure that hams indulge in. There are examples galore in which hams have provided efficient communication during emergencies such as floods, earthquakes, storms, and other calamities. I operated a Ham station from Gangtok from 1979 to 1995 with a call sign VU2RVM (VU2 denotes India) using home-brewed equipment. Later as a Club Station of the National Institute of Amateur Radio, I used Kenwood equipment. In 1986, I trained 20 Scouts and Guides and their instructors from Sikkim and many of them got their licenses. Some of them used to operate my equipment for going on air. Sadly with the advent of the internet and mobile communication, Ham Radio is steadily taking a backseat. But in Sikkim, there is still scope for Ham radio to be used as an alternate means of communication during disasters.”

What is more interesting is the piece of information that when Sikkim was an independent kingdom, Sikkim had a call sign AC3 followed by PT named after Chogyal (King) Palden Thondup Namgyal. Post-1975 after Sikkim got merged with mighty Indian Union, the next call sign licensed was VU2RVM i.e. VU2 for India and RVM the person's name.


QSL cards collected by Rajesh Verma:

Also, read

The AC3PT: A story of the deleted country

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for bringing this to my notice. I didnt know that Rajesh Verma was actually from Sikkim. I looked for his book but seems it is no longer published by EFY publications. If you happen to meet him or speak to him again, please do convey my regards. I have never met him or spoken to him on the radio but i am sending my best wishes to a fellow ham in a very beautiful part of our country.

    73,
    Deepak VU2CDP

    PS: i know Patrick Pugh from Sikkim- VU3PAT. A good friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dipak for your valuable comment and the information about Patrick, well can you give me his email ID and his location.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Deepak,

    Patrick Pugh is not from Sikkim, he is from Shillong, Megalaya.

    http://www.qrz.com/VU3PAT

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops!!! thanks for bringing to my notice. I hope Patrick doesn't read this :)

    - Deepak, VU2CDP

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello
    this is Tushar Gupta,Delhi/jalandhar.
    im an engineering student (cse), i have a fox hunting(Radio Direction Finding) competition in front of me for which i need to buid a 144-145mhz cw receiver...can any one help me...
    i can be contacted at tushargupta101@gmail.com

    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. can anyone please help me with HAM repeater frequencies in and around Gangtok, Sikkim. i am a novice in this field and any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete