Monday, November 10, 2008

The Best One Rupee I Ever Spent: My Experience with Om Prakash Sharma's novel on Sikkim's merger

I bought Sikkim's history for a rupee. I might sound crazy, but I am not. It is a rather fascinating incident that happened sometime back in Singtam, my hometown. I was in one of the newspaper shops looking for old magazines for my self-made library when the title of a mouse-munched Hindi novel caught my attention. "Jagat ki Sikkim Yatra," which is "Jagat's Journey to Sikkim" in English, was a wonderful discovery for me. 



The title of the book was enough to capture my imagination and my curiosity, even though I am not a fan of novel reading. After reading each page of the book, I was amazed by the content of the document. Even though the book states that its story and character are coincidental, the entire theme portrays the 1973 merger of Sikkim. I read about the state of affairs faced by the people of Sikkim, the Chogyal and his family, the Indian authorities, American CIA agents, and a character from China. 

The story had everything and was centred around a central character called Jagat, an international thug. Every minute detail of those agitation days has been recorded neatly as if the writer had witnessed it. The writer Om Prakash Sharma I am sure had done enough study about the happenings of Sikkim State then. As the book was old and mouse-bitten when it was released, it was priced at Rs 2. I only had to pay Rs 1. For me, the book was worth more. 

Indian author Om Prakash Sharma is the author of several crime and thriller novels in the Hindi tongue. He is regarded as one of the most well-known authors of Hindi pulp fiction and has released over 300 novels. "Keshav Pandit," "Inspector Azad," "Bankelal," and "Super Commando Dhruva," among others, are some of Sharma's most well-known works. His novels are known for their frantic action, gripping stories, and endearing characters. He has written numerous books that have been adapted into television shows and comic books.

8 comments:

  1. hi shital,
    I just stumble upon your blog. hey you are good, your blog is very educative to guy like us.
    thanku
    keep writing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...it this way i am also learning about my Sikkim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello da
    himalaya reiew has been a best thing where we can learn about sikkim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u bhai.....i am happy you feel so...natra tah who cares what u write......

    ReplyDelete
  5. bhai,
    its really interesting. imagine how much of our histroies might have gone in the dustbins of people without emotions for sikkim.
    u have really picked up very precious document on sikkim. though not in any of the school or college syllabus........... our kids will read such documents if safely kept for them.
    hope to get a glance of that book.
    regards
    Bharat Daju

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey. Jagat Ki Sikkim Yatra seems to be describing the then condition of Sikkim. It would really be great if you could post it online in a pdf format or any other. So we can also go through some portion of Sikkim's condition back then.

    Cheers and Keep up your good work.

    ReplyDelete